Tuesday, August 13, 2013

SARAH'S URBAN GARDEN: CHOOSING PLANTS

    This was the first year I tried my hand at tending a tiny container garden. On a whim one day I picked up a few seed kits at Target in the dollar section, and little did I realize it was the start of a successful leap into a new hobby. I thought I'd never see fruit from my labors, but seven months have come and gone and I've have more success than I dreamed of! We don't have a speck of a yard, so I grow everything in pots on my front & back porches. Here are my little babies. Up top are my German Johnson Tomatoes & Kentucky Colonel Mint, and down below are English Lavender, Rosemary, & Basil. 



     The key was starting with hardy but satisfying plants. I chose herbs and vegetables we actually use in our own kitchen (& cocktails!), and this made the endeavor much more engaging. So far I've been successful by keeping it simple. I limit myself to only growing five plants so that I don't overwhelm myself with too many projects (which is seriously hard every time we breeze past the plant section at the farmer's market - I want them all!). In this way I've been able to manage keeping a few plants I really love and still have the time and energy to tend them all well so that I get to enjoy results. Quality over quantity, always. Over the next few weeks, I will attempt to share my beginner tips and tricks for each of the plant types I cultivate. I am no expert, but simply hope to inspire other city dwellers to try their hand at a new hobby. It was somewhat frustrating when I started because it was very difficult to find thorough beginner tutorials on the internet that were specifically targeted at container gardens. Maybe you've always wanted a garden but because you are in your early twenties and haven't a yard nor the time to bother with it you haven't given it a go. I hope to show you that it's not so hard as it looks, because if I can do it, I think anyone can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment