Monday, August 5, 2013

ON SUMMERTIME: DANIELLE

I have to confess: I don't consider myself a summer person. I find the sticky southern heat overwhelming - there are times when any amount of clothing is too much, and each time I open my closet, I gaze longingly at my favorite sleeved dresses & stacks of cardigans made utterly useless by the season. Mosquitoes respond to my hatred with undying love. No matter how great my hair & makeup look when I walk out the door, an hour later frizz & a general melting feeling have taken over. And my work schedule doesn't generally allow much in the way of vacationing, so photos of friends' amazing week long trips & adventures leave me a bit jealous. Summer just isn't my thing.
But. I try to remember how unbearable the middle of winter can be, and enjoy the warmth & sunshine while I can, stockpiling summer memories for the days I'm wishing icy rain away & dying to wear summer dresses. And some perfect things are just intrinsically tied to summer, so I've made a little list of things to do over the next couple months, humidity be damned. 

1. try new cooling treat recipes
like:
some of these yummy looking popsicles
perfect homemade iced coffee

2. go night swimming
beautiful photo by Fabio Leone

3. day trips to the beach
(In July I went to Topsail & Atlantic Beach, and I'd like to visit Wilmington one weekend soon)
4. see a few local concerts
(Hopscotch is coming up & Alabama Shakes are playing Sept. 20th! I'm counting that as summer.)

5. host a summer get together
(so inspired by the A Simple Evening events planned by Megan Gilger of Fresh Exchange, especially these photos from an end of summer celebration)

What things are on your summer checklist?

No comments:

Post a Comment